We had a wonderful year growing annuals for cutting in 2011 and have ironed out a few issues with some of the varieties we grew.
The list below is what we feel is our Top 50 annual flowers for you to grow in your garden for either cutting or general flouncing about in your flower beds. All of the varieties below will be grown in 2012 in the Higgledy Garden and we shall be keeping you posted to our progress.
I believe annual flowers offer the best option for the domestic cut flower gardener.
*Firstly they are MUCH more productive than most perennials and will often keep producing flowers all season…keep cutting and they will keep coming.
*Secondly you can grow several hundred plants for less than a tenner.
*Thirdly you can have a completely different selection year after year.
For a little more ‘work’ you get an awful lot more blooms.
We will soon have a shop from which you can buy seeds but for the moment I will point you to the people who I feel have the best seeds at the right price and who have the best level of service.
The list is in no particular order.
Please note this page is being revised and will be complete by the 1st January. (thx)
- Centaurea, Cornflower, Blue Boy
- Molucella, Bells of Ireland
- Scabiosa, Pin Cushion Flower, Crown Tall Mix
- Calendula, Pot Marigold, Art Shades
- Nigella, Love in a Mist, Persian Jewels.
- Nigella, Love in a Mist, Miss Jekyll
- Ricinus, Impala.
- Rudbekia, Marmalade
- Bupleurum Griffithii
- Lupin, Sunrise
- Lupin, Red Flame
- Gypsophilia, Babies Breath
- Ammi Majus, Bishops Flower
- Orlaya Grandiflora
- Godetia, Crown Double Mixed.
- Cosmos, Purity
- Cosmos, Sea Shells
- Cosmos, Dazzler
- Malope Trifida, Vulcan
- Dahlia, Cactus Mix.
- Dahlia, Coltness.
- Centaurea, Cornflower, Black Ball
- Euphorbia Marginata
- Antirrhinum, Snapdragon
- Agrostis nebulosa
- Didiscus, Blue Lace Flower, Lace Mixed.
- Leonotis leonurus
- Tithonia, Fiesta Del Sol
- Aster, Ostrich Feathers.
- Sweet Pea
- Sweet Pea
- Sweet Pea
- Cerinthe Major, Honeywort
- Larkspur, Bi-colour
- Larkspur, Crown Blended Mix
- Larkspur, Consolida Mauve.
- Amaranthus, Love Lies Bleeding
- Amaranthus Viridis
- Helianthus, Sunflower, Vanilla Ice
- Sunflower, Ring of Fire
- Sunflower, Pastiche
- Sunflower, Earthwalker
- Anethum Graveolens. Dill.
- Chrsanthemum, Merry Mix
- Zinnia, Oklahoma
- Nicotiana, Flowering Tobacco, Lime Green
If you would like free Higgledy updates of the development in our garden this year then please clickerty click on the orange RSS button at the top right of the page.